This post will make sense only to my readers who are familiar with the Harry Potter series. I hope my other non-HP readers will be intrigued enough to pick up this fantastic series.
I am a fan of the Harry Potter series. I have re-read them many times too. Every time I read it, I glean some new insight. It is indeed a remarkable achievement by J K Rowling to be able to create such an incredible story that has so many layers. This supposedly “children’s” book appeals to every age group. Kudos to her.
Here are a few interesting insights I have gleaned so far.
- Gryffindor colour is red; Voldemort’s eyes are red and Slytherin colour is green; Harry’s eyes are green.
- Dumbledore tells Harry in the 2nd book itself that Voldemort left a part of himself in Harry.
- Harry has learnt all the skills needed to kill Voldemort from Snape.
- He learnt the spell “Expelliarmus” from Snape. In all the battles that Harry fought, he has used this spell.
- He learnt to close his mind from Snape.
- He learnt all the useful spells not taught at school from the book of the Half Blood Prince.
- Snape has been the protector of Harry from the beginning
- Snape was the only teacher to look out for Harry when he does not come by train and he searches for him when Harry arrives by the flying car.
- Snape also looked out for Harry when he was attacked by Malfoy in the train.
- Snape saved Harry from Quirrel’s evil intentions.
- Snape managed to give the sword of Gryffindor to Harry by stealth.
- Snape protected Harry when he escaped from Privet Drive.
- Snape’s patronus was a doe, so was Harry’s mom’s. I feel Harry’s mom died protecting Harry, then Snape took over and cared for him till his death.
- Just like Harry, I feel Peter Pettigrew must have chosen to be in Gryffindor. He is not brave enough to be there.
- Rowling chose the names of her characters with such care. For example,
- Sirius Black’s animagus was a black dog. In reality, the brightest star in the sky is Sirius, other wise called as the Dog Star.
- In the Roman mythology, Remus and Romulus were twins who were, according to a legend, were looked after by a she-wolf. Our Professor Remus Lupin was a werewolf. He later also took the name of Romulus to conceal his identity. In fact “Lupin” is derived from the word wolf in Latin.
- The creators of the Marauder’s map were unaware of the room of requirement. They had mapped out 7 paths out of Hogwarts, but they missed out the one that leads to the Ariana’s portrait from the room of requirement.
- After watching the movie Fantastic Beasts and where to find them, I have reached the conclusion (as I am sure many must have), that Ariana was an Obscurus. That is why her parents could not take her to the St. Mungo’s hospital also since at that time there was no cure.
- Ignotus Peverell was the ancestor of Harry. Voldemort too was a descendent of the Peverell family. So that makes Harry and Voldemort related by blood. Peverell family were connected to Salazar Slytherin through the Gaunt family. That makes Voldemort a direct descendant of Slytherin. That makes Harry too connected rather remotely to Slytherin. No wonder the sorting hat thought that Harry was more suited to Slytherin house!
Can you think of anymore? I am sure there must be!